Caramel – Nut Popcorn Crunch
Like caramel and almonds? Combine it with popcorn for sweet and crunchy treat.
- 15 x 10 baking sheet
- non-stick cooking spray
- 10 cups freshly popped popcorn
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 225℉.
- Spray 15 x 10 baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Mix 10 cups of popcorn and 2 cups whole almonds in large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, ½ cup butter or margarine, and ¼ cup corn syrup. Cook over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high and boil 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 teaspoon almond extract, and ½ teaspoon baking soda.
- Immediately pour over popcorn and almonds. Stirring gently to coat.
- Pour mixture and spread evenly onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove and cool completely.
- Break popcorn into pieces and store in airtight container.
About the Author
Everybody loves popcorn—the granddaddy of all snack foods. Discovered in the Americas thousands of years ago, popcorn has captivated people for centuries with its magical charm. Yet through the ages, popcorn has remained relatively unchanged. Popcorn is a seed, which just happens to do some nifty things when heated. The Popcorn Board is made up of popcorn companies who are responsible for getting that little seed to you in whatever form you choose—kernels, ready-to-eat, or microwave. We’re not necessarily farmers, but most of us come from farming or agricultural backgrounds. Some of our parents and grandparents grew popcorn, packaged it, and sold it door-to-door or store-to-store. They loved popcorn, as do we. That's why we're in this business.