Caramelized Sweet Onion & Goat Cheese Flatbread
This combination of caramelized Vidalia onions, savory goat cheese and peppery arugula, all topped with a sweet balsamic glaze, will have your taste buds dancing. Caramelize your onions ahead of time to quickly assemble and make this flatbread in under 15 minutes. Recipe and photography courtesy of our friends at Healthy Family Project.
- 1 Skillet
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 large RealSweet® Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, your preference
- 1 pre-made thin crust flatbread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup arugula, shredded
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425℉.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter on medium-low heat.
- Add 1 large thinly sliced onion to skillet. Stir frequently for 30 to 40 minutes or until onion begins to soften and brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of stock. Cook additional 1 to 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Lay 1 pre-made flatbread on baking sheet and brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Top bread with caramelized onions, and 4 ounces goat cheese.
- Bake 8 - 12 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is crisp. Remove from oven.
- In a bowl, toss together 1 cup shredded arugula, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and salt and pepper. Top flatbread with arugula.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze.
About the Author
Ripe For Revival 501©3 formed in 2021 as an extension of Ripe Revival’s mission to “Revive Communities Through Food.” The non-profit serves all ages through their agriculture and food programming in North Carolina. Programming currently includes establishing and maintaining gardens and farms on campuses, connecting farmers and partner agencies for food donations, nutrition education and a Mobile Market program.