Caramelized Vidalia Onions Fig Crostini
This recipe is featured in WTFCF commercials featuring Chef Holly and Vidalia onions!
- parchment paper or foil
- 12 - 18 slices French bread, toasted
- 4 - 6 tablespoons fig preserves, or preserve of your choice
- 2 cups Vidalia Onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, finely grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add 2 chopped onions to skillet, stirring often until golden. Season with salt & pepper.
- Arrange toasted French bread slices on parchment paper or foil lined baking sheet.
- Spread fig preserves on bread slices.
- Top with caramelized onions and sprinkle ½ cup grated Swiss cheese onto prepared bread slices.
- Bake for several minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve Warm.
About the Author
As Executive Chef for the Georgia Departments of Agriculture and Economic Development, Holly, pictured right, is the most visible face of the Georgia Grown Program, which promotes locally grown and crafted products. Prior to her current position, she was Executive Chef of the Georgia Governor's Mansion, where she had the pleasure of serving six Georgia Governors. She has welcomed foreign heads of state, former U.S. presidents, supreme court justices... even members of England's Royal family. Holly was recently honored as a Disciples d'Escoffier and currently serves as President for the Atlanta Chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier.