Ghostly Graveyard Cake
For a frighteningly fun time in the kitchen this Halloween, gather your family around the cauldron to create a sweet, spooky dessert. Tricks and treats may provide thrills, but a homemade concoction can be the star of your hauntingly happy evening.This Ghostly Graveyard Cake takes imagination and creativity from everyone with tombstones, skulls and spooky icing daring all to try a bite. With looks this chilling, it’s a perfect treat to enjoy while watching everyone’s favorite scary movie.
- 3 (6-inch) baking pans
- Rolling Pin
- zip lock bag
- skull sprinkles, tombstones and bones candies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 10 chocolate cream cookies
- 1 cup black candy chips
- 1 cup red candy chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3 cans buttercream icing
- 1 vial purple food coloring
- 1 vial black food coloring
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions in three 6 - inch baking pans. Once baked, allow to completely cool outside of pans.
- In zip lock bag crush 10 chocolate crème cookies. Set aside.
- In separate bowls add 1 cup black candy chips and 1 cup red candy chips. Set aside.
- In a microwaveable bowl heat 1 cup heavy whipping cream for 1½ minutes.
- Pour half the heavy cream mixture into one bowl of chips and other half into the other bowl of chips. Stir until chips are completely melted. Set aside.
- After the cakes have cooled add a small amount of buttercream icing to the top of each layer spreading evenly.
- Stack each cake layers on top of one another. Add thin layer of icing to entire cake and freeze 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine 2 parts purple food coloring to 1-part black food coloring. Ice cake with deep purple icing.
- Add chocolate crème cookie crumbs, tombstones and bone candies to top of cake.
About the Author
In 1974, Family Features began creating and distributing free, full-page color editorial features for the food and lifestyle sections of newspapers. These formatted features combined attractive photography, kitchen-tested recipes, and tips from national brands and associations—helping media outlets increase readership, sales opportunities, and saving considerable time and money.